T ■ PARK
Hong Kong Sludge Treatment Facility
The general purpose lighting proved to be quite interesting because the main views of the facility are from the north looking southwards either from the landscaped areas or the EEC. There is an access road that runs the full width of the plant separating the public viewing areas from the view of the facility and the road needed to be illuminated to a lux level that met code. Simply putting road lights on poles would have been aesthetically unpleasant as it would have introduced sources of glare between the viewer and the facility. The solution was custom designed in the form of a low level linear wash light that ‘grazed’ the surface from a shallow angle, placed 400mm above the plane of the road surface. A glare shield was attached to the upper edge of the fixtures to prevent drivers on the access road seeing the light source.
The special façade lighting was always intended as part of the grand statement. The northern façades of the spectacular plant building faces the EEC as well as the nearest port in the People’s Republic of China across the water. It is here that the greatest spectacle has been created.
The profile of the building reflects a 400 metre long double wave with a vertical accent in-between crest. The special façade lighting follows this shape precisely. A derivative art form, the architectural lighting traces the edge of the structure with lines of light, beautifully emphasising the form at night.
illumination Physics has long produced a linear direct-view RGB light strip for this purpose; IP Bar. Using this fixture was ideal for many reasons. It enabled the illumination Physics team to run the fixture along the ‘rolling wave’ roofline as it can be linked in series. Additionally, as the opportunities to install power and data were limited and difficult to access on this project, the benefits of this fixture’s on-board power supply makes IP Bar the most cost-effective choice.
Below the roof line of the plant buildings, the northern façade is constructed from a stylish glass curtain wall of overlapping clear glass panels. This is the second most significant feature of the structure.
The use of narrow lenses enabled illumination Physics to produce a focus that spanned the full height of the façade. Two hundred and forty luminaires were concealed in bull nosed housing at the foot of the wall. This lighting plot was the second element of a display intended to suggest breaking sea waves. Combined with the IP Bar (which has graphic display capabilities), the up-lights complete an illusion of the ocean in a synchronised animated display.
One last feature remained to be added to the display element of the lighting of T ▪ PARK. In the foreground of the facility is a formal garden of soft and hard landscape containing decorative pools of fresh water produced on site. The largest of these contains a powerful single fountain jet capable of propelling water up to 20 metres in height. The jet is surrounded by three concentric rings of illumination Physics underwater lights, each with 36 Rebel LEDs.
Because of the extreme density of the population in Hong Kong and the tremendous strain on landfill space for waste disposal, T ▪ PARK is a crucial step in leading the way on sustainable waste management. The technology and the acceptance of the inevitability of it should speak for itself but in reality, perceptions are everything and the form and lighting of the form of T ▪ PARK are crucial to the sense of arrival of anybody viewing the facility for the first time.
- 479 x IP-Bar Pro-graphic RGB rectilinear 1000mm 90 deg side cable entry
- 7 x IP-Bar Pro-graphic RGB rectilinear 500mm 90 deg side cable entry
- 11 x Mains/data feed cable 10m connector one end, other end bare
- 7 x DD-6 WM Pro dmx splitter
- 6 x Xnet 8 ethernet/dmx converter (4 pcs for IP bar & Wash 108's, 1 pc for fountain lighting)
- 1 x ART16 control panel for manual activation of fountain & surrounding lighting
- 32 x Rebel Drum 36 RGB 10deg 500mA
- 16 x Remote driver X-Power-HP-RGBW
- 7 x Rebel bar HIP65 AC 1000 18leds,WW,450mA
- 50 x Solar brick
- 20 x Wash 36 AC WW,36leds,450mA, white housing
- 3 x Wash 36 AC WW,36leds,450mA,black housing
- 247 x Wash 36 AC RGB,36leds,450mA, black housing
- 21 x Wash 36 AC CW,36leds,450mA,black housing
- 7 x Wash 36 AC,36leds,450mA,black housing
- 74 x Rebel linear wash IP65,AC CW,36leds/m, 450mA,40deg
- 35 x Rebel linear wash IP65,AC CW,36leds/m, 450mA,25deg
- 61 x Linear Vario 660 12 LEDs
- 61 x Baffle
- 61 x MW CC driver 35W 700mA
- 158 x Mains/data feed cable
- 267 x Extension cable